May book blog: Serge along with us!




Hello again, Amelia here, back to blog about a book for May. This month I’ve picked something to challenge myself, Serge with Confidence by Nancy Zieman. This isn’t a new title. In fact many of you may have it, but it’s the perfect book, if, like I am, you’re a bit intimidated by the thought of serging anything but a seam. 

What caught my eye while flipping through the pages was the adorable little bonnet and jacket set on page 71. Nancy used the cover stitch option to basically achieve the effect of shadow embroidery. I’ve used the cover stitch function on my machine before. Some of you will remember the old-fashioned, one-piece Lycra bathing suit I made for my son Ellis featured in Sew Beautiful. But I’ve never tried to engage cover stitch for decorative purposes using fine, heirloom fabrics. 


Throughout the month, you are welcome to journey with me as I construct this set. Although Nancy doesn’t name the pattern she used in the book, I found a very similar pattern from Burda, kids #9645, for the jacket, and I will provide dimensions for the little bonnet. I’ll be using batiste, organdy and ribbon from Martha Pullen Company and embellishment instructions from Nancy’s book. So gather your materials and check back next week, as I get started.

-Amelia